Wind turbine policy
The mission of Zeeland Seaports to encourage industrial activity, employment and with it sustainable economic development in Zeeland means that no land is made available for wind turbines if the land can be used for port-related industrial activity.
Other starting points
When assessing applications for cooperation in initiatives for wind power within the management area of Zeeland Seaports, the following starting points apply:
- The noise production of wind turbines must be exempted by law when assessing the noise zone around the industrial sites concerned.
- The wind turbines must not have any negative consequences for the use of and the possibility to issue the remaining plots of land.
- The contour of the rotor must remain within the boundaries of the plot to be issued. An exemption from this rule may be granted by Zeeland Seaports with due regard for the other starting points listed.
- If the location of the wind turbine borders a public road, railway line or pipeline corridor, a specific risk analysis must be carried out by an independent research institute.
- Wind turbines may not restrict the physical space available and projected for cables and pipelines.
- Wind turbines must be accessible for maintenance and suchlike by means of a road with a minimum width of 4 metres.
- Connections, including those to the central electricity grid, must be made in such a way that no restrictions are caused for third parties.
- The siting of wind turbines must not restrict in any way the nautical access to and use of the ports.
A request to Zeeland Seaports to give its cooperation with the development of wind power must address as a minimum the above-mentioned points. Zeeland Seaports has the duty of effort to respond to such a request within six weeks.
When assessing several initiatives which affect each other, the continuation of or modifications to existing initiatives will be given preference. When several new initiatives are assessed simultaneously, the moment of signing the lease or purchase agreement for the land will apply.