Zeeland Seaports' location on deep navigation water and excellent hinterland connections are major factors which attract industrial companies to the area, as these ensure the cost-efficient transport of raw materials and products.
The port of Vlissingen is an ideal location for businesses which require large volumes of raw materials for their production process and need space for the production and storage of raw materials and end products. As a result, the port area is home to many different industrial activities and has been designed to ensure the efficient transport of bulk goods by water, road and rail.
Among the companies at Vlissingen there are many well-known names, including:
- Thermphos - producer of phosphorus and phosphorus-derived products
- Zeeland Refinery - oil refinery
In the canal zone and around Braakmanhaven, Terneuzen has deep-water berths, space, infrastructure and supporting services of the very highest quality. This makes the area particularly attractive for a range of industrial activities. For example, Terneuzen is the home base for Dow Benelux, the largest chemical production site of Dow outside the United States.
Other companies based in the port of Terneuzen include:
- Yara Sluiskil - the largest production site for ammonia and fertilizers in Europe
- Nedalco - producer of alcohol and bio-ethanol
- Cargill - producer of modified edible starches